Sunday, April 11, 2010

Pizza Perfection

Anyone who knows me is aware of my love for pizza. It probably started when I was little and my dad would pick up a Filippi's pizza on his way home from a late night's work. He and my mom would wake my sister and I up for an impromptu pizza party, the four of us giggling over a pizza picnic using their bed as a table. I think it's been my favorite food ever since.

Last night, we made pizza a casa (at home) and it turned out to be pretty delicious. We used some store-bought flatbread instead of making our own dough (which for the amount of time saved is well worth the purchase, although I'm sure homemade dough is delish). We picked up this whole grain naan flatbread that we found in the deli section. The whole grain was more for nutritional value than flavor, but it was still pretty good:


We were inspired by two pizzas: the Parma from Mandola's Market and Tyler Florence's Bacon, Rosemary, Potato Pizza. We made a few adjustments, but both of our versions were spot-on scrumptious. Mandola's was a layer of fresh mozzarella and prosciutto, topped with arugula tossed in a lemon vinaigrette and shaved parmesan cheese. Tyler's had a mixture of crumbled bacon, rosemary, onion, and thinly-sliced potatoes baked under melty cheese.


Mmmm...I wish we had some leftover!

Happy Searching,

6 comments:

  1. I have never been a huge pizza fan because I associate pizza with heavy, heavy ingredients and really doughy crusts that you feel terrible after eating. That is why I really loved these smaller, simpler pizzas with a fresh component of arugula and lemon vinaigrette. It really balances out the cheese and doesn't include a tomato sauce. That's my kind of pizza. Definitely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pizza's sound wonderful. My mouth was literally watering as I read this. I am open to all kinds of pizza and do love a little tomato sauce once in awhile. Was the flatbread soft or crunchy? Think I may have to order a little something from Roundtable tonight while watching the opening season episode of "The Tudors" tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Round Table? I'm jealous! The flatbread is soft out of the package but crisped in the oven. It turned out crunchy without being brittle, which was the goal. Baked them @ 400 for about 10 minutes or so, just until the cheese was perfectly melted and the crust was crunchy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lost me at Filippi's We had it for Jacob's graduation dinner, it was so fun, and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me very hungry! I should have known better than to read while my tummy growls!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails