Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cool as a Cucumber

While making one of my favorite salads the other day, I realized that I've never shared it with you! It's certainly deserving of its 15 Minutes of Fame (or however long it takes you to read this post).

Cucumber and Tomato Salad has been a favorite of mine since my early childhood, when I would help my mom pick the cucumbers and tomatoes right from our garden. It is such a summer staple, and can be adapted to make a thousand different versions depending on what you have in your fridge or what you're in the mood for.


But the basic recipe is so simple and delicious on its own, I often find myself just sticking with the classic.  I'm sure you've made or eaten something similar...here's the version I grew up with:

Cucumber & Tomato Salad
Dressing:
Whisk together equal parts olive oil & red wine vinegar, garlic salt, pepper, dash of sugar, dried Italian herbs (parsley, oregano, etc). Most dressing recipes call for 1 part acid (vinegar) to 2 or 3 parts oil, but I like mine pretty tart...so adjust to your taste.
Salad:
Toss peeled and sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes (grape, cherry, or vine-ripened are the most flavorful), and thinly sliced red onions with dressing. Best when refrigerated for 30 minutes, but I can't always wait that long.

You could add corn, avocado, bread to make a panzanella, or some nice salty olives. As for me, it's usually just the essentials. Cool, crisp, bright...a happy little bowl of summer.

Happy Searching,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails