Saturday, July 31, 2010

Chilaquiles...Every Time

I know I said in a previous post that I like to branch out and try new things, but I'm beginning to think I led you astray...every time I go to the Old Town Mexican Cafe in San Diego, I get the exact same thing: the chilaquiles with red sauce, my eggs over easy, and a side of corn tortillas.

I've tried to order other dishes, I really have. They have terrific cheese enchiladas and their carne asada is great. But. I've ordered chilaquiles elsewhere and I've never tasted any that are half as good as the ones from Old Town Mex. So that's what I order...every time.

Chilaquiles are basically corn tortillas (or day old tortilla chips) baked in an enchilada-type sauce, then topped with eggs, green onions, and queso fresco (a crumbly Mexican cheese). Served beside a generous spoonful of refried beans (also topped with melted cheese), I cannot resist them.


The combination may sound strange. It may look odd, what with the egg-yolk-river and all. And I understand your hesitation. All I can say is that when you tear off some of that homemade corn tortilla and wrap it around the perfect ratio of eggs, beans, chips, and cheese, you know what delicious is. And you just may not order anything else again.

Happy Searching,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails