Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Mother of All Weekends, Part 1

I was so excited to have my mom in town for Mother's Day. As I began to plan the agenda for the weekend, the first question that had to be answered: What are we going to eat?

Luckily, my mom and I are of the same mind when it comes to food (I wonder how that happened...). We live to eat and plan our days accordingly. We are often discussing what we should do for lunch while we are eating breakfast. It's awesome.

So, I wanted our time together to be filled with yummy things and all in all, it was a delicious weekend.

We spent Saturday at the Lake Austin Spa and enjoyed some incredible food. We shared scallop ceviche, watermelon gazpacho, an avocado chicken panini, and some frozen yogurt...in our bathrobes! It was heavenly (and much too relaxing to be bothered with a camera, so there are no pictures...sorry).

What better to follow up a healthy day at the spa than with some barbeque? We were in Austin, after all, and I knew just the spot: County Line Bar-B-Q. Being the dainty spa girls that we are, we promptly ordered the Meat Sampler Platter and a pitcher of Shiner. Brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs, and smoked turkey? You betcha!


We sat out on the deck, listened to some great live music, and licked every last bit of the barbeque sauce off of our fingers (I threatened to get Mama B a straw to slurp the remaining side of sauce until I realized she would really do it). You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!

Once our savory cravings were satisfied, it was time for a little something sweet. Luckily, I knew where to go for that, too. Central Market is an Austin grocery store with lots of specialty items but more importantly, a gelato bar. I introduced Mama to this gelato during her last visit and we both became hooked on the same flavor: The Donatella. Creamy and studded with crunchy chocolate-covered waffle bits, it's basically Nutella in gelato form. The chocolate hazelnut flavor is insanely good.


Stay tuned for Part 2...scones and quesadillas and margaritas, oh my!

In the meantime...

Happy Searching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails