Sunday, June 13, 2010

Madam Mam's is Thai-riffic

Do you ever go to a restaurant and order the exact same thing every time? Being the lovers of food that we are, Ryan and I make it a point to expand our gastronomical horizons and sample different dishes. But. I love me some curry. And I just can't seem to make it past the Panang...

Thai cuisine--I know--is much more than just curry. I mean no disrespect to the culture or culinary world by seeming so narrow-minded. But this is one of those instances where I find a good thing and stick with it. Panang Curry is my Thai version of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I order it every single time.


Sure, I'm willing to try other things (usually off of Ryan's plate, since I always order the same thing). It's just that I love the contrast of the spicy red curry, the cool coconut milk, and the sweet Thai basil, all swimming together in a luxurious broth.

Madam Mam's is just the place for my Thai fix. It's a perfect example of why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover; at first glance, it appears to be a bit rundown. The plywood signs adorning the restaurant have been painted bubblegum pink with red letters.

So when we entered and found these bright, whimsical umbrellas hanging from the ceiling,


our reservations were beginning to fade away. Enter some delicious Panang Curry and they were gone completely!

Ryan ordered some sizzling pork soup that arrived in a giant bowl and had equally big flavor. We also shared an order of Chicken Satay which was awesome--grilled perfectly and served with a savory peanut dipping sauce.

If you're ever in South Austin and feeling like it's time for some Thai, don't let the signage scare you... Madam Mam's is the place to go!


Happy Searching,

1 comment:

  1. I posted my comment for this article under the next one down. sorry about that. Anyway, beautiful umbrellas and just show cant judge a book by the cover. Yum Yum

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails